Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Day 8 (2019) - Home visits and goodbye party at Buen Pastor

Today was my favorite day out of the whole mission. It was a day of learning and growing, not just as a person, but as a family and a team.

We started our day by going to El Buen Pastor for some early morning devotionals before heading into the mountains. After devotional we were split into our two groups for the mountain visits. I was put with some of my bestest friends here in Quito, which gave me so much joy. I was a part of the team who went to Doña Delfia's house.


We hopped on the bus and headed up the mountain. Once we got to the house we were greeted by Doña Delfia. When we got there she introduced herself and her story. Doña Delfia is an 87 year old widow who does not have nay kids and lives alone on the mountain. When she first told us her story I felt sad because she was alone, but then she said something that has stuck with me for the rest of the day. She said, "Even though I have no children and no family, I have my God." This left an imprint on me because she was so happy and faithful despite the condition she was living in. 


After we got to know her some more, we started to do our work for the day. We were responsible for sanding, painting, and decorating the inside and outside of her house. Mary, Nahomi and I began by painting the wall in her living room. Once the first coat was done, we began the second wall. Once we finished that wall, we had a little snack break. All of us went outside into the garden and shared our snacks with each other. It felt like a family tea party that everyone was excited to attend, minus the tea. 


Once our tummies were filled we began working once again. One of the Ecuadorians who was a part of my team was named Jorge. Now I met Jorge last year and I was so happy to see him again. Jorge is a great artist and he was in charge of the paintings on the outside wall of the house. He began drawing out a butterfly and I was so excited because I LOVE butterflies, but that is besides the point. We then began painting the butterfly he had drawn. For the wings we all painted our hands and placed them where the wings were supposed to be. After many minutes of painting and placing hands on the wall, the butterfly was finished. It turned out great and Doña Delfia really appreciated it. 


After the painting was finished some of the girls decided to mix colored paint with jeans. These events are kinda fuzzy, but all I know is that I will be coming back with some revamped jeans. 

After the few moments of creative liberty we had, it was time to start cleaning up. We washed the brushes outside in a cement rectangle with ridges on the bottom. This is where Doña Delfia washes her clothes. It was so interesing to see the different ways of life on the mountain. Once everything was all cleaned up, we prayed for Doña Delfia and proceeded to give her hugs and besitos. I left her house with a feeling of joy and accomplishment because of the work we had done for her. 



We then picked up the other group and headed to the home of Don Miguel and Doña Mari. We walked a little bit to get to the house. Once we were there, we were greeted by Don Miguel. He showed us his beautiful garden and all the animals he had. Once we were in the backyard we were greeted by Doña Mari. She came up to us crawling–this was due to her disability. She came to us with the biggest smile I have ever seen and greeted us all one by one. She was such a joyful soul and it really inspired me. 


After hanging out with them for a little bit, it was time to head back to Buen Pastor for lunch. I was very happy in that particular moment because I was very hungry. We got to the church and I sat next to my good friend Anderson. We shared many laughs. He asked me if I had a boyfriend and I replied with a disappointed no. After a little bit of awkward silence we shared some jokes and decided that it was time to go play soccer. 


After lunch we went into the back street behind the church and spent about an hour and a half playing soccer. It was so much fun to just hang out with the kids and to really come together as a family. While we were playing with them the other members of the church were preparing a surprise party for us. Even though I knew that it was coming, I was still very happy. 

After playing soccer we went inside of the church and were greeted by balloons and music. We all sat down and my good friend Chivita, otherwise known as Erika, explained what was going on. She thanked us for coming, and for having open hearts and open minds. Then the DJ  started playing some salsa and we began dancing our hearts out. We danced to many songs for about thirty minutes.



After a bunch of sweat we sat down waiting for the next thing to happen. Erika started talking again and said that they had gifts for us. Then we were all called up one by one to recieve our gift bags that they had prepared for us. Once we were all seated, Erika began talking again. I already knew what was going to happen, but I was so emotional. The Ecuadorians began praying at our feet – this is a tradition that they do, to remind us that everywhere we walk, they are with us. 

After they were done praying it was time to say goodbye. This is always the hardest part. Last year I was completely and utterly hysterical, but today I was happy instead of sad. All of my good friends begged me not to go, but I promised them that I would come back. Leaving your second home is never easy, but to me it felt like saying goodbye to family: when you say goodbye to family, you always know that you are going to see them again, that their love for you won't dwindle, and your love for them will not dwindle.


After saying goodbye to my favorite people we headed back to the bus. As we were driving away, I waved to all my dear friends, and I felt sad, but again happy, that I was able to even have the opportunity to meet them and spend time and work with them. 


We then arrived back at the hostel, ate a great dinner and had our debrief where we talked about all the things we have learned about Ecuador.

I have to say I am very sad to be leaving this wonderful place, but I know that it is time to go home and finish the rest of the mission back in the states. I am so grateful to have had this opportunity to learn and grow through the amazing people here. My heart will forever belong to Ecuador and the people that live here, and I cannot wait for my next adventure in this beautiful and amazing country. 

Until next time,
Emilia Minton

No comments:

Post a Comment