Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Day 7 (2019) - Sabbath Day

Today was a day dedicated to relaxing and seeing more of Ecuador. The day started out like any other day. I woke up after sleeping very well becuase of my sister's ear plugs that she gave me. I went to the bathroom and got dressed. Everyone was already eating so I just had cereal.

We left at 8:45 to go to Casa Gabriel. There we learned about the purpose of Casa G and Casa Adalia. We learned that Casa G is a home for street boys, or boys at risk for becoming street boys, and the ages they can apply to be a part of Casa G is ages 18-22. Casa G provides a home or space for boys to get shelter, food and healing. Casa G really focuses on all areas of healing and development. They also focus a lot on education for the boys so they can turn their life around.

Casa A is also very similar, they focus on healing and education. Except their girls are coming from a different situation, sex trafficking or prostitution or girls at risk for falling into the sex industry. Girls are brought into the house to escape their current situation and work for a better life. After we learned about all of that we got to buy jewlery made by the girls through art therapy. I bought a wrap bracelet/choker and a bead bracelet for a friend.

After that we set off for a 2 hour bus ride to Otavalo (yes, 2 hours). I just listened to music the whole time and looked outside at the beautiful scenery that was full of mountains that I never get to see becuse I live in Florida sadly.


We got the Otavalo and ate at a café. It was very good. We then embarked on our journey to the market which was across the street. We divided and conquered. There where so many things to buy, and I just wanted to give the elderly women all my money. We got to see women dressed in traditional clothing which was very cool. The market lowkey stressed me out though, because the people selling things are very good at talking you into buying things. But I am very happy with my haul. I was very interesting to see all the diffrent items that were hand made by the people. The prices where great and I didn't bother bargening because it stressed me out. I wanted to give all the elderly women hugs but I thought that would be weird so I held my self back. My sister and I got many things for my mom but we are not telling her what we got her because it is a suprise. After I was done buying things and spending all my money to the literal last coin, I sat in the café and waited for others to be done as well.




We then embarked on yet another journey to a waterfall which was very fun. There were many dogs and even though we are not supposed to touch them I still pet every dog I saw. I do not have any regrets. The walk/hike up to the water fall was only about 10 minutes and the scenery was full of greens. There were mountains everywhere. Once we arrived at the water fall we took many photos and some of us climed up the the waterfall a little ways. I didn't because I wasn't in the mood to fall to my death. Grace was wildin and I was very frightened for her but she did not tumble (thank goodness).


After some water fall shenanigans, we went back to the bus to go to a lake. The lake was in front of a volcano/mountain and it was so beautiful. We watched the sunset from there and it was definitely the highlight of my day. There was a swing that was over the water and I got to swing on it and it was gr8. We got on the bus for another 2 hours, and this time I slept the whole time and was not very happy when I had to wake up.


Once we arrived to the food-truck-trailer-restaurant-market-thing we seperated into groups and got well needed food. We then went back to the hostel and by that point we all wanted to die becuse of exaustion, but no lives where lost beside the life of my wallet. That is how our day went.

-Alexa Minton

No comments:

Post a Comment